Friday, February 01, 2013

I can still see you...

This female hairy woodpecker went into hiding mode when I went to the window with the camera this morning. I took the first shot with her hiding her face behind the branch but it blurred after the camera focused on the branch. Hiding behind a branch narrower than your head, reminds me of Brooklyn in the "if I can't see you, then you can't see me" mode...she'll cover her face with her hands and think we can't see her.
Checking to see if I'm still standing there...
Oh look! A redpoll thinks I can't see him either :)
The chickadee really didn't care whether I saw her or not, she was too interested in finding space at the feeders.
It is another very cold morning (-14F actual temp, windchill unknown) so the feeders have been really busy. I finally managed a shot of the lone immature Harris Sparrow that is spending the winter with a bunch of house sparrows and my beautiful cardinal is so shy I haven't managed a decent photo of him in weeks. Today, he is the background to a redpoll, the redpolls are the most seen bird at the feeders this winter. This mosaic also shows the dang squirrel who is costing me lots of $ in birdseed and makes a huge mess as well!
Every day right at dusk the cleanup crew moves in. It wouldn't be so bad if they only cleaned up the patio but they have the audacity to come right up the patio door steps and leave lots of little brown souvenirs for me to clean up.
The very worst thing about these dang rabbits is that they have done a lot of damage to the garden. The evergreen shrub pictured is simply getting a trim but many of my newly planted ornamental shrubs have received alot of chewing damage. The new tiger eye sumac is chewed off at snow level, the magnolia has half of its branches chewed off at snow level, the pom pom has all the lower bark chewed off as well as 3 miniature lilacs and my corkscrew willow. Don't even get me started on my clematis collection, they are all chewed off at ground level including the group 2's. It needs to warm up a little so my 2 hunting dogs get out of their warm beds in the garage and start hunting patrolling the yard as they usually do.

No comments: