Tuesday, June 05, 2012

at the rock...

It's been awhile since I showed some of the birds at the rock fountain. The robins have always been the most frequent bathers in my garden. This yellow cutie is a female orchard oriole. I have orchard orioles and baltimore orioles here and just love to watch them. New to the pond this year is this coral beauty, but she doesn't move around much :)
The pond is green these days with an algae bloom thanks to these nasty birds, the grackles! They dump all the "crap" from the nestlings in and around the pond and the extra nutrients cause the bloom. I will be thankful when they are finally done nesting.

1 comment:

Auntie Cake said...

Thanks for sending me the link to the peony growers, Marsha. I had no clue they were here, and I definitely have to take a little trip there next spring. I was practically drooling over all the gorgeous varieties they sell.

I am already strategizing how to get my hands on some of the more expensive varieties that sell for over $100 (main strategy is to bring good old mom, who will buy then give me root stock in the fall...)or more. I could spend hours pouring over their site! I have been so thankful that my peonies are still in full bloom. I got to enjoy them for a long time this spring! I can't get enough of them!


Enjoy your beautiful garden! I showed pics of your fountain to my hubby in hopes that I could get some form of shallow running water out to my garden for our birds to enjoy. His reply was, "Good luck, you are gonna need it to build something like that all by yourself." I adore all my sweet little friends, and nothing give me more pleasure than to have my youngest son excitedly yelling, "Mom, come and look at the yellow bird!"
Kate