Tuesday, July 05, 2011

today's garden birds...

I haven't taken the time to take any bird photos lately so while watching all the activity in the serviceberry shrub, I decided I better do it today before the berries are gone. First up, is a male baltimore oriole...
followed by the female.
A goldfinch also stopped by for a drink but...
most of the activity is in the serviceberry. A immature robin stopped eating long enough to check me out...

and the brown thrasher could hear the "click" of my shutter.

The catbird is the most acrobatic plucking off berries in midflight but he is also the hardest to capture with the camera.



If you want to attract birds I highly recommend some kind of berry producing shrub. This serviceberry has been a behive of activity from the minute the first berry just barely started to ripen. Robins, catbirds, flickers, brown thrashers and even orioles have been plucking off the berries for a week and it is almost completely berry free.

6 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Every one of these are fantastic.

NatureStop said...

Great captures!!!

shantana

Darla said...

Love the colors on the first bird!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I would love to birdwatch with you!

Foley said...

Great photos...your garden is gorgeous, love the poppies!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Wow, these are some really gorgeous shots! Lovely. I have perused several of your posts and enjoyed each one!

Kindly, Lorraine