Wednesday, June 22, 2011

rain, rain, go away....

When you wake up and you see water reflecting through the trees you know its not good. I took my coffee and camera outside and walked to the other side of the west grove to see the creek has overflowed into the farm fields with all the rain we have had since last Thursday.

As long as the camera was out I thought I would look for the beauty in a very wet and dripping garden. First up is the sweet william in full bloom with the honeysuckle blooming on the trellis in the back of the yellow chair. The huge yellow clematis that grew here and hid my gas tank became an accidental victim of some overzealous round-up spraying so I have transplanted a few seedlings that sprouted up in other areas of the garden.
Close ups of the dripping honeysuckle and a droplet covered lily.
Pineapple lily, feverfew, Huldine clematis, gallardia and yellow loosestrife.
Foilage covered with raindrops...
and Rebecca, Ville de Lyon & Elsa Spade clematis.
Droplets on the Betty Corning and Rooguchi clematis vines and the...
only edibles I'm growing this year...Parsley, tri-color Sage, Rosemary, Oregano & Basil. I also have regular sage, lemon basil and lemon thyme. This year I joined a CSA and look forward to receiving weekly boxes of produce. Since we had a very wet spring in this area, garden planting was late so I haven't received any produce yet but our first delivery 2 weeks ago was an herb planter of parsley, basil & oregano (which I transplanted in the ground for less watering) and two home grown dressed and frozen rock cornish hens. We had the first one on the grill for Father's Day and it was delicious as well as fed our family of six :)

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Extra rain aside, the colors are SO beautiful!

Ruth Hiebert said...

The rainless beautiful on the flowers and leaves,but not so good when it cover acres of farmland.We have the same situation here.It has once again rained all night and is still coming down. :(

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Beautiful, and I love the red door in the garden. laurie

Bonnie said...

I understand your pain. We could canoe in our back yard. Hope for sunshine your way!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

You helped me identify a plant growing in my neighbor's yard - yellow loosestrife. Your gardens look so healthy!

P.S. Love your baby bee ticker.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Beautiful pictures.

Robin Lambright said...

I love taking a trip out to the garden after a rain. There is something so beautiful about the raindrops as they rest on the leaves and petals.

Well done!

As always your garden is amazing!

Blessings
R

Cindy said...

Thanks for the walk thought your beautiful garden.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous pics despite of all the rain!

Beth said...

Marsha, You have beautiful clematis! I love the shot with the hostas - what a lovely sitting area. Marsha, your pineapple lily is a stunner too.
Blessings, Beth