Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Plant ID and touring SD...

Does anyone know what the plant above is? The photo on the right of the mosaic shows the entire plant - it was about 18-24 inches tall and about 12 inches wide. The blossoms were a bright fuschia pink which didn't photograph that great and the leaves were soft and fuzzy like a lamb's ear plant. I would love to have this in my garden and if it grows in SD it will grow here as well.

We spent last weekend touring rural SD on our cycles - stops included a farm winery where I was so fascinated by the above plant that I forgot to take any other photos :)

We also stopped at the Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead near DeSmet, SD. Below are the cottonwood trees that Pa Ingalls planted and are still standing after all these years.
There are replicated buildings including this sod dugout house & shanties but also moved in original buildings from other area historic sites.
We rode a covered wagon...
to the school house where we attended a 1880's class with 10 or so adults and about a dozen kids. The kids participated in a spelling bee and all of us were asked to solve this riddle...

In a marble hall white as milk, lined with skin as soft as silk. Within a fountain crystal-clear, a golden apple doth appear. No doors there are to this stronghold, yet thieves break in to steal its gold.


I was the only one to figure it out and the teacher seemed a little surprised so I guess not many people do. (answer in the comments of this post if you want to guess) All the buildings are staffed by people in costume recreating customs of the era the Ingalls lived there.
There are so many things for kids to do here so if you live in driving distance and have kids that have read the books or watched the tv show - I would recommend a stop. You can even camp overnight in your rv or one of their covered wagons. At the end of a long day, one of the ponies that gave rides stuck out his tongue at me when I took his photo :)
Driving back to our campsite in Ihlen, MN we stopped for a photo opportunity I just couldn't pass up.

6 comments:

Marsha said...

the answer to the riddle is an egg :)

lb said...

I do, I do!!
It is called "Lychnis coronaria", also referred to a Rose Campions. They are a California native, re-seed themselves VERY easily, like dry hot soil with excellent drainage. If you can't find them there, I can send you seeds as I have dozens of them blooming in my yard right now.
Laura

Darla said...

What a fun trip....I'd like some of those seeds from the Rose Campions too!

Marigene said...

Beautiful flowers, glad that someone knew what they were as I sure couldn't have identified them. I love the picture of the pony sticking his tongue out at you!
Have a wonderful, long weekend, Marsha.

Kathleen said...

I remember doing that one with my class. I don't remember any 4th or 5th graders getting it right!
Lucky you to have someone not only know what it is, but send you flowers to that flower.

Chris & Kelli said...

I knew it! Great post Marsha, looks like it was a fun trip!