Wednesday, April 06, 2011

early spring in the garden...

This morning while I was looking out the window at the current mess I call my garden I thought I spied a tiny bit of color. So this afternoon I went out with the camera to investigate, coming around the garage to the patio you can see there is still quite a bit of snow to melt before we will be eating in our outdoor dining room again. The good news is I can see a few tulips starting to grow.
A look towards the pond, reveals it is still frozen and half covered in a snowbank. The whole garden is a wet mess of compacted leaves and cottonwood sticks from all the winter winds. I can't wait for it to be dry enough to clean up.
Goodness! Spring is here to stay! These crocus are the tiny bit of color I spied from the window, I call them fairy flowers because when they bloom it means the fairies are waking up from their long winter rest and....
Spring is definitely here to stay...look at what I spied next to the fairy flowers!
Let's head back up towards the patio to see if they have the Pine Lady house opened up for the season...
Another fairy by the door checking things out, they sure have their work cut out for them with gardens buried in pine needles and debris and their paths scattered about.
I thought I saw something on the patio snow on my walk back...did you?
Oh my goodness, do you see what I see? I guess some of the fairies are enjoying the last bit of winter!
I guess I would too if I had been cooped up inside for 5 months. At least when they are out playing in the snow it is 50 degrees and not -25F. There is one brave girl sledding down the snow bank...
and this one has made an adorable garden snowlady!
I just had to come back inside and blog about today's discoveries of spring and looking out the patio door, I just can't believe I didn't see those playful fairies before :)
As you can see we still have snow in the road ditches, the groves and the north sides of all the buildings. I sure hope a few more days of this 50 degree weather melts it all, I am anxious to begin gardening!

10 comments:

Foley said...

It's a good thing Spring is near cuz I think my dear you are beginning to lose it!!! LOL

Rebecca said...

Marsha, I will not complain about our cool weather any more after seeing that you still have snow! My sympathies, friend!

I called my crocus (that's right, just one) "timid and dwarfed". I call YOURS "courageous"!

Marigene said...

I am so glad our snow has been gone for quite some time...it is finally spring here in the plains! Your faerie house is adorable.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, that white stuff has got to go! At least the fairies are enjoying the last bit of winter!

trishatfox said...

I am shocked, shocked, shocked you have blooms. It is so hopeful!!!
Imagine having flowers and a snow lady in the same yard at the same time. Only in Minnesota.
Thanks for brightening my day. Again.

Unknown said...

Don't you just get a 'rush' when you can see things poking thru the fluffy white snow?!

Have a lovely eve ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

NEW GIVEAWAY ends 4/10

Jayme said...

Fun post! I had no idea the fairies were so active.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Cute post, Marsha! Can't believe you have both snow and blossoms! The crocus are very pretty.

Darla said...

I am so glad your Fairies are waking up. I do believe one flew south and planted a dahlia for me...it's in my post.

Mollie said...

Ahh, fairies--a sure sign of spring! Good thing you took a closer look and saw them playing and running about!