
It is gray and overcast here today but I still really enjoyed seeing at least a dozen wood ducks in our grove this morning. There could have been more but it was hard to count with them flying around, I did manage 8 in one photo.

There were bachelors hanging out...

and 2 couples double-dating.

While the males are the more beautiful of the pair, I love the blue wing feathers on the females below.

I spent an hour watching all the duck comings and goings with my camera and binoculars. Suddenly, I spotted more color and lo and behold...

Joseph (he has the white stripes on his crown) was perched high in a tree. I was so excited to see him that on the first photo I didn't even notice the couple directly below him!

In fact, Joseph was surrounded by 3 close by ducks and one flying by in the background.

I am really hoping one or more of these couples decide to stay and nest on our property. We do have 4 duck houses set up but the dang squirrels and starlings are always in them.

Before finally setting down the camera so that I could get some work done I did spot a female checking out one of the boxes.

Hopefully, there will be more ducky days in my future :)
6 comments:
So cool to see Joseph back..thought he had become someones dinner!!
The wood ducks are so interesting looking..Sue has a couple of duck houses also and get used every year. But she said once the little ones hatch it seems they are gone very quickly, making their way to the creek.
Hope a few stay for you!!
Amazing.I get excited to see one pair of Woodies.The Pheasant in the tree is spectacular.
Great pictures, Marsha. We went to Topeka this morning and on the way we saw some mostly white birds, some dark underneath the wings, up too high to tell what they were...I am thinking some kind of heron, as their wingspan must have been at least 6 feet, maybe more...there were about 20-25 in the group.
They are such beautiful birds - and the pheasant too.
Oh, I really intensely dislike starlings. Especially after I learned that they will lay their eggs in other birds' nests.
Love these birds, Marsha! LOL, love the numbered pic, should be one of those games, can you find all the ducks?
Very cool!!
Post a Comment