Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Tuesday Tidbits...Joshua Trees and Vermilion Flycatchers

1. One week ago today, I was on vacation in Arizona and came down with a severe case of strep throat, who knew there is a clinic right in Grand Canyon National Park where one can be seen and get meds?
2. Feeling awful on vacation is no fun so to make the best of the situation, I convinced Jeff we should just drive in the desert all day and look for one of the 3 areas in the state where Joshua trees grow.
3. A Joshua tree is not actually a tree but a yucca plant and is related to the lily family.
4. Arizona has 13 varieties of rattlesnakes (more than any other state) so I chose to view the beauty of these trees from the car.
5. Jeff & I love picnics so we did venture out of the car for lunch at a picnic spot in Burro Creek Canyon. While eating lunch we noticed a group of a dozen or so birdwatchers on the ridge above us. Soon a couple of them ventured up out of the canyon and walked by our table. I asked what they were spotting and they had seen some yellow warblers and a blue heron nesting but had really wanted to see the vermilion flycatchers that were supposed to be in the area.
6. After asking them what they looked like, we informed them a pair was in a tree not 20 ft from our table and showed them the following photos.
7. I only wish these photos weren't taken looking into the sun because he really was a striking bird!

2 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those Joshua trees are so unique.Love the birds,but them I am a Birder.

Cynthia said...

Love seeing your pictures ... Makes me want to re-visit that area. Great pics of the Joshua trees.