Monday, June 10, 2013

mosaic Monday...

With this unusual Minnesota spring my garden is very "green" looking with a noticeable lack of blooms for the calendar reading June 10th.
 
The last of the tulips are blooming as well as the last fern peony, the alliums are in full blossom. The garden peonies are still budding and I have my first lone clematis. The first iris are starting to open and all should be blooming later this week as well as the shasta daisies.
It seems like it has been gray and raining every other day for a month! This weekend was no exception but we decided to go camping with our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter anyways. Friday was just plain gray but the sun managed to peak out now and then on Saturday. We rented a pontoon on Saturday for an afternoon on the lake. It was awesome to watch 2 bald eagles and several osprey fishing on the small lake with us! One bald eagle caught a fish right behind the parked pontoons as we were getting ready to leave.   Brooklyn enjoyed the ride and even napped an hour on my lap before getting her second wind and trying her own luck at fishing with mommy's pole.  Jeff & I can't remember the last time we were out on a lake so this afternoon was a real treat.
Along with watching the eagles and osprey catching fish we also got to watch several loons fishing near our pontoon. I didn't realize they spent so much time diving under water. There are no photos because I was holding Brooklyn but we also witnessed a pair of loons following a mother duck and her ducklings. The mother duck would fly back to the loons and "fight" them with lots of wing maneuvers and splashing from both birds. One duckling couldn't keep up and we were worried the loon would get him but thanks to the mother duck coming back to the loons several times he managed to rejoin the group.

Since we've had so much rain lately our campsite was soggy so Brooklyn rocked her rain boots all weekend. She even managed to find a mud puddle and do some major splashing in which left her cute yellow pants looking like they were dark brown polka dotted :) Saturday night and Sunday brought much more rain so we had to pack up and leave in pretty hard rain. It was a good thing Grandma wasn't wearing yellow pants or they would have been polka dotted too.
 
More on our camping weekend if you are interested on Jayme's Blog.

Rebecca asked in the Pine Hollow 2013 post the approximate size of the fairy garden..It is about 8' x 10'

1 comment:

Auntie Cake said...

Looks like you had a fun camping trip, despite the rain! And your gardens look lovely. I was gone for 12 days only to come home to solid weeds. I think I know what I will be doing this week!


Happy 4th!
Kate