Friday, May 10, 2013

have I told you lately...



how much I LOVE SPRING?


There is nothing more relaxing than having a 2nd (ok, maybe 3rd) cup of coffee while watching the backyard each morning looking for new spring migrators.


Today, I first spotted a male American Redstart but couldn't grab a camera fast enough before he flew off into the grove. You can bet tomorrow I'll have the camera on my lap during coffee time.


Mr. and Mrs. Rose-breasted Grosbeak were the new arrivals I enjoyed next. They are such beautiful birds but I only see them here in my garden in the spring and once again during August when the youngster males appear at the feeders.
 
As always in the bird world, the males get all the beautiful color and the females appear more drab and plain. However, Mrs. Grosbeak holds a secret and that is a beautiful salmon color under her wings that you can spot when she is in flight.

Can't wait to spot the next new arrivals...what are you seeing in your backyard?

3 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Rose-breasted Grosbeak arrived on my yard today. Spring is an exciting time for a bird lover.

Mollie said...

Thanks for sharing your spring photos--this one and the one of your early buds and blooms. Given that I live in San Diego what I'm seeing in my backyard is the perennial mockingbird, lots of hummingbirds, the resident crows, an occasional hawk in a soaring battle with the crows overhead (!), and I'm afraid to say a bird I don't know the name of. Not that it's unusual--I'm just not a good birder. But I know I love its song. And squirrels have moved into my neighborhood. And I've seen a few bluebirds. I thought they were new to the area but my neighbor says they've been around. I don't have a feeder in my backyard because of my resident cat who insistes on living outside. She came into my yard in 2007 and never left. She does catch mice (and the occasional rat) so I don't mind her presence. Plus she's a sweet girl--pure white.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I see the Mr. and Mrs. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at our camp. So striking. Here at home, my favorite birds are the sweet wrens that nest in the house we provided for them. Each spring, I am thrilled when they return. They are like family ;o)