Friday, October 15, 2010

light a candle tonight...

Ethan Michael
October 14, 2010

It is I who caused your heart to leap
when you learned you were pregnant.

It is I who caused you to wonder...will he
have my nose...
your eyes...
Grandpa's ears...
be bald headed or a mass of curls...

It is I who inspired you to imagine the possibilities and challenges of being
a Mom and a Dad
Who invited you to be your best self.

It is I who caused you to lose sleep worrying
about raising me to be
healthy and strong
loving and wise
So I could reach my full potential.

It is I whose laughter you longed to hear
and whose cry you would know in an instant

It is I who never had a doubt about your love

It is I who was able to put a lifetime of joy into an instant.

(read by the hospital chaplain at Ethan's baby blessing)

Please remember all those who have lost a child especially my daughter & son-in-law, Jayme & Scott who grieve the loss of their precious son, born into heaven yesterday.

22 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I am sorry sorry for your family's loss, Marsha. Sadly, we're going to be gone tonight but hopefully, there will a candle burning at the table where we are having dinner. I will think of baby, Ethan, and say a prayer to myself for him and all other lost pregnancies when I see it. I know myself, how sad and difficult this time is.

Darla said...

So, so sad to hear of this..will be burning a candle here too. Lost my 3 year old nephew 4 years ago...

Unknown said...

My heart aches for these parents ... I have walked in their shoes. Ethan is held in the loving arms of Jesus.

Have a great weekend.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Carol said...

I am so sorry for your family, Marsha, you have my deepest and most heartfelt condolences! In my thoughts and prayers.

Heather said...

So sorry to hear that. I have never lost a child but I can only imagaine the pain that they are enduring. Prayers by candlelight for your family tonight.

LaurieC said...

Marsha, so sorry to hear of your family's loss. A candle will be burning - and thoughts & prayers are with you.

Foley said...

Marsha - will definitely be burning a candle tonight for baby Ethan. My heart goes out to Jayme and Scott, along with you and Jeff.

Carolyn said...

Marsha,
I am so sorry for your family's loss. You are in my prayers.

Carolyn

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry, Marsha. "Born into heaven"...what a consoling thought to hold to tightly in the hours and days to come. I will your daughter & son-in-law in my prayers this evening.

Ryanne said...

Marsha-
What a wonderful tribute to Scott, Jayme, and most of all - baby Ethan. Thanks for sharing what was read by the chaplain.
Ryanne

BJ said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all at this most difficult time. The poem is so beautiful and I will never forget those beautiful words....but pass them on to my daughter...for her baby losses.

Thinking of you all with love & hugs as you go through this grieving process. God is holding a lot of baby angels in his arms.

Jayne said...

Love and peace to you and your family Marsha.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

My sincere condolences Marsha. What a beautiful poem. Love and hugs my friend.

Wanda said...

My heart breaks too, as we think of these dear parents and their huge loss... but I do rejoice that all those dear babies are in the arms of Jesus.

Prayer and thoughts for you dear friend.

Betty said...

Sorry to hear of your family's loss of little Ethan. Will pray for you and yours.

Mollie said...

Marsha, my thoughts are with you and your family. I've left a note on Jayme's blog already. What the chaplain read at Ethan's baby blessing was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us. (I lost a 3-year old sister when I was seven.) May the love and caring of others during this time of mourning ease the pain of loss your family is experiencing. And I hope your family's love of being in nature helps with the healing.

trishatfox said...

Most good and gracious God, I pray this night for baby Ethan. That he be held always in your loving embrace. Warm and safe. Confident that he holds a special place in your Kingdom just as he always will in his parents' hearts. I pray that those hearts, now shattered, mend with the help of friends and family and above all your healing spirit. Be with Jayme and Scott in the aching, uncertain times. Help them look to each other for support and tenderness. I pray, too, for Ethan's grandparents for their loss is great and they struggle to find ways to comfort their grieving children. Please give them strength and ease their sadness. I pray especially for Marsha, who has shared so much of the beauty of your world with the rest of us. May this loss not dim the gory she sees in all your work. And finally, I pray for all parents who have lost infants and children. There are not tears enough to fill up all of those empty spaces left behind. Be with those families in their grief. Give them hope in the assurance that in all things you are with them. And that your love is bigger than the pain. And forever. Amen.

Sabrina said...

Marsha,

My heart just breaks for Jayme and Scott, and for your entire family in the wake of the loss of Precious, Little, Ethan. Lifting up many prayers for you all for peace, faith, and understanding. I will remember you all in my prayers as you wade through the deep pool of grief. Hugs, Love, and Prayers,
Sabrina

Kathleen said...

God bless him, and prayers for all of you!

From the Old InkWell said...

Love how you worded "born into heaven" since that is exactly where this precious child is, with God. Still, it is so hard for us left behind to live through the loss. Bless you!

Libbie said...

What a touching post...I read it too late but the idea of it just made me smile. & the poem is really nice too. I will for sure pray tonight for them! Thanks for spreading their story so we can pray.

Marigene said...

Marsha, I am just now reading this and my heart is breaking for your family. I am so sorry, please accept my heartfelt condolences.