I think this is the latest date,I have even had a garden to show that isn't all cleaned up for the winter. We have yet to have a killing frost which I believe is close to a record for this area.

In the front garden, the burning bush standard is red, the perennials leaves are turning golden, the mums look gorgeous and I still have annuals blooming. The last 2 days we have had a huge fall storm with high winds (a land hurricane the tv called it) so the trees in the background don't have any leaves left.

Roses, annuals and mums are blooming in the rose garden but the hydrangea foilage is yellow. Do you notice anything different about our evergreen tree line? We cut them up to allow for more air circulation to try and prolong their lives. Several have died and several look pretty sick but the nursery we consulted with said this should help them for a while but there is no cure for the disease that hits 25+ year old colorado spruce in our area.

The barn area looks bare as the veggies have all been pulled a month ago. The farm fields in the background have been harvested and tilled too.

A few last clematis blooms to brighten my day.

The backyard garden is about 90% done blooming and gone to seed...

but my two favorite annuals just keep blooming and blooming. The gem marigolds and veronica blue salvia are powerhouses in all my plantings.

The cranes are standing amongst another gem marigold while the service berry tree behind the rock is a pretty red.

Flowering kale provides a bright pop of color...

and a few zinnia still bloom.

Gallardia are still blooming...

among more veronia blues.

The majority of the spider mums are done blooming except for a few stragglers and...

the blackberry lily seed heads are living up to their name.

It is cold today - I was out in a winter coat and gloves to start the cleanup but the battery was dead on the ranger. I am hoping for warmer weather over the weekend to get the cleanup done - my heart just isn't into gardening these days but it is a chore that has to get done - with the light snow falling yesterday I know our autumn days are limited.
Thank you to all who stuck by reading this blog while I struggled with the diagnosis and then grieved the loss of our long anticipated first grandchild. Your kind comments on the 10/15 post meant a lot to all of us.
6 comments:
Everything still looks great there, Marsha! I've been marveling at how far my garden has gotten this fall also. I think we're having our first hard frost tonight :(
I am surprised to see so much still blooming there. It looks lovely!
A light snow, good grief. You still have some color around Marsha. Keeping you close to my heart.
Still looks beautiful and colorful! Surprised you still have blooms! No killing frosts here, still have my summer blooms and hardly any fall color, but lots of dropping leaves!
Love the gems and kale - can't believe you still have so much blooming!
I think the evergreens look fine - better than losing them all together.
No snow here yet..keep it up north!
You still have so much blooming Marsha! We have had one light frost which killed the marigolds, zinnias, impatiens etc. At least I feel okay about cleaning up the yard now. Hope your fall is the longest ever :-)
Post a Comment