
On last week's trip to Duluth I drove up to Hawk Ridge in order to catch a sky high view of the beautiful fall foilage. It was noon and the moon was still in the NW sky as I enjoyed the fresh air and beautiful colors.

The view looking out towards Lake Superior was bright yellow with occasional pops of red.

Since the lens is broken on my good camera - most of these photos are taken with the purse sized canon set on foilage - I wish I hadn't used that setting as the colors were much more striking to the eyes!

The view looking back towards Duluth and the harbor was gorgeous - if you look closely you can see the lift bridge the city is famous for.

At this time of year,
Hawk Ridge is a busy place as many come to watch the migrating hawks during Sept-Oct. According to the website, over 93000 raptors migrate past the overlook each fall.

There were presentations going on...

and platforms to look for high flying hawks.

I'm not sure why they had fake birds mounted to sticks in the above and below photos...

I didn't bother to ask anyone or take part in the hawk presentations - I was here for the VIEW!
8 comments:
Once again, your pictures are so beautiful. Pieces of heaven on earth for us to enjoy. Being from the new england area, I can certainly appreciate the colors displayed here. Tammy
The scenery is spectacular and watching the hawks would be just as good.
Blessings,Ruth
I love this Marsha!
One of my all time favorite towns to visit is Duluth! I feel a need to take a trip there soon!
Fabulous pics!
Cindy
Beautiful fall colors - watching the hawks would have been fun - as long as you didn't pull out your 4-10! LOL
The bright blue of the lake really makes the colors of the leaves pop. Sorry about your camera. The photos are still great, though.
How beautiful, and to be able to see the hawks too... icing on the cake!
and what a view it is! GORGEOUS!
My guess on the bird on the pole is that it is an owl decoy. Since owls and hawks don't get along, it may be used to attract the hawks to the area and lower so they can be seen. Just a guess.
Post a Comment