Monday, March 23, 2009

weekend roadtrip...

Jeff & I enjoyed driving up to Duluth this weekend to visit Jayme & Scott. As I was driving up on Friday, Jeff spotted an eagle in the field alongside the road. I quickly pulled over and pulled the camera out of the back seat to fire off a few quick shots.
As we were sitting there another bird flew over the car...
and landed in the same field. I'm not great at ID's but I think this is an immature bald eagle.
We thought those two eagles were the only two birds we saw until I downloaded the photos. In this first photo I took of the bald eagle there is another one visible in the upper left corner of the photo. I imagine we were both so focused on the closer one we missed the one in the background.
After 20 or so photos the first one had enough and took off flying across the field...
he stayed low to the ground and...
flew past the immature one.
As I followed his flight with the camera this photo was the last one in the series. Once again I was surprised at seeing the downloaded photo and spotting another one in the background. Guess I'm not the wildlife watcher, I thought I was ;) Four eagles in one field, but we were grateful to be able to "spot" two of them!
We enjoyed spending time with Jayme & Scott but they all wondered why I wanted to take a photo of these guys as we spotted them alongside the road...
I told them I always need "blog material" :-) At first we thought they were domestic yak's and I said I was going to blog the lyrics...Yakkity Yak...don't talk back.
But in looking them up this morning they are actually Scottish Highland Cattle.
They looked so different from the cattle we usually see along the roadside and Jayme thought it was great that they had built in back scratchers.
While up at J & S's we celebrated Scott & Jeff's birthdays. They gave Jeff a new Harley shirt and a Harley dog collar for Hershey. When we got home last night she wasn't quite ready to give up her puppy sized red one...
but soon took to her Harley Davidson Pink :)

18 comments:

Jayme said...

She looks pretty sharp in hot pink!

Suzy said...

What a cute post Marsha. I love the Eagle series! How cool you caught others in those shots. I am amazed they were just there in the field. I've never seen that. I LOVE the cattle. They are precious and I'm glad you took the time to take their pictures. So unusual..so yes great blog material. The back scratcher is great! Hershey looks so sweet in her pink. Pink and brown are perfect together!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The Eagle pictures are wonderful.Now that cattle is something else.I don't think I would want to come too close to one of those.
Blessings,Ruth

Foley said...

You've seen more eagles in the fast few months than I have my entire life!! Great photos, nice you "saw" more than you originally thought. The Scottish Highland cattle are a new one for me - did they have an entire herd? Tell Jayme she has a BI back scratcher also..it's called a husband! lol

Love Hershey's pink collar - so girlie!!

Skoots1moM said...

the cattle are amazing...their hair gives them such attitude!

cute collar!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, wonderful eagle shots ... you do a great job of getting them in flight.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that is an immature bald eagle. Here's a pretty good pic of one that John took at the refuge.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2446441600053863764ZKiNVU?vhost=outdoors

I love the cattle pictures ... Jayme's correct about the built-in back scratcher.

Hershey is definitely "pretty in pink".

Sounds like a great weekend with your daughter and SIL.

Tina said...

Marsha,
Wow, wow and wow! 4 eagles in one sighting!! I feel lucky if I see one and then most of my pictures one just has to take my word that it was an eagle!! lol!
Cute pics of your dog..she does look quite spiffy in pink..never would have thought Harley and pink in the same sentence.. ;-)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

You have a charmed life to not only come upon one bald eagle but 4! What a neat sighting and to catch with your camera even better. I love the Scottish cattle too! I have hair envy ;) Hershey is adorable!

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, I think it is so cool that you see so many eagles! Always nice seeing things on your blog that I don't see in everyday life.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Marsha,
I love the eagle pics and the cow one too. Duluth is one of my fave cities to visit, except I like it in the summer. Cindy

ChrisJ said...

Lucky to see four Bald Eagles. There are more of them around now than when we lived in Minnesota. (35 years ago).
Hershey is a BEAUTIFUL dog in pink or red.

Jayne said...

Wow, how neat to see so many in a field! And, love the cool cattle with their back scratchers. :c)

Sweet new collar for Harley.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Martha, I recently saw the first bald eagle in my life! I love your Eagle series! The back scratcher is great for blogging! We learn so much from you. I think Hershey looks great in pink (and red). Kiki's collar is pink too, and I drove extra miles just to find the right color. LOL

Unknown said...

How cool! To just happen on those Eagles is amazing!!

jalynn01 said...

What a fun post!! Wow! isn't it fun to get home and see many more birds than you thought you had seen..in this case Eagles!! Happens to all of us I'm sure. I really liked the picture of the cattle.. whatever they are. and Hershey is just so darn cute...pink or red looks good on her.

troutbirder said...

Looks like you had a great trip. Seeing the eagles was definitely a highlight.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Awesome eagles, cows, and dog!

RuthieJ said...

Great pictures Marsha! Sounds and looks like you had a pretty nice weekend.