Thursday, March 19, 2009

moving day...

At 7:15 this morning the moon was still visible in the south and the sun was rising in the east.
It was 24 degrees out and the ground was frozen and the grass was frosty and slippery so it was a perfect morning for moving the little red barn into this spot between the spruces.
A last look at the completed barn in the shop...
before we opened the door and hooked up the skidloader to a cable.
With a slight lift and a gentle tug it was on it's way...
just clearing the shop door.
As the sun rose, it made it's way across the yard...
and onto the lawn.
Hershey helped Jeff figure out how to set it back into the tree line...
while I listened to the early morning song of the robins.
Finally, it was in place and the cupuloa could be attached.
You gotta love this man...
and while most of his brothers ride horses, he's rather have his horsepower with two wheels.
Though Gabi cannot see the barn, she took lots of time sniffing out the scene and rested while I finished taking photos.
Since the back of the barn is facing the road, I built a faux door and the black painted square is supposed to look like the top door is partially opened. Why? you may ask...
because every little barn needs a horse looking out of it. I'm still working on him but may I introduce "Harley, the horse"...
I'll take another pic to show once Harley is finished and mounted on the back of the barn and while I anxiously await gardening season to pretty up the area, I already moved in a cream can and the big iron butchering kettle.

Oh, the ideas and possiblilities I have in mind for this area....May can't come soon enough for me.

24 comments:

Jayme said...

Looks GREAT! You and dad make one good team. I think Scottie and I could use a shed back by our vegetable garden. :-)

Becca's Dirt said...

What a nice barn. I bet you get a lot use out of it. Neat idea doing you a horse and painting the back of the barn. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

I know, I know, we are not to covet other peoples things............I'm going to have to pray real hard to get through this one. LOL I adore it. It is aready beautiful, oh the possibilities are endless!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That is such a cute barn and the location is perfect.Can't wait to see how it will look by the end of the summer.
Blessings,Ruth

Skoots1moM said...

you're so creative...it's a great addition to your backyard!

jalynn01 said...

I must say you and Jeff are a twosome loaded with talent and energy!! What a lovely little barn and I can't wait to see 'Harley' in the window!! You have such GREAT ideas! By summer we should be in love with the barn as much as we are the garden shed!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Happy moving day! It's adorable, Marsha! I can't wait to see Harley looking out the window too - what a cute idea and look how talented you are :) Which side are the clems going on?

Foley said...

Congrats! I can't believe you finsihed it and moved it in such a short time.. It looks fantastic. Now some explanation on the weather vane please..did Jeff make that also??

Tina said...

Marsha,
Very nice barn and you both did a superb job on building it! I think you must have created that barn in record time!! I really like the spot you chose and hope your clay horse does well in the firing!! Are you glazing him?

Can't wait to see what you two build next??

Cynthia said...

Marsha, it's wonderful.... Definitely a stunning little barn. I'm glad you were able to move the barn this morning. Now we can all wish for your winter to be over.

I look forward to see your finishing touches and a finished Harley.

The weathervane is adorable.. is that a little rabbit on top?

Carol said...

What a great looking barn! Awesome job! and it looks perfect between the trees! Can't wait to see Harley! You're really creative and very talented, Marsha!

Marsha said...

Thank you for the fun comments...

Susan, I was going to put the clems on the south side but now I am rethinking. I wasn't imagining it as far back into the trees as J was :)

Barb, I've had the weathervane for years! Bought it at a local craft sale for Jeff when we both rode his bike. It was mounted to our mailbox pole but we decided a Harley weathervane would look better on Harley's barn.

Tina, Harley's not clay but plywood covered in outdoor adhesive to give him a three demensional weatherproof finish. I will do some finish painting and then seal him.

Cynthia, I had to go back and look at the weathervane photo...it is a motorcycle but I can see the rabbit head in the cycle's windshield handlebars now.

Kathleen said...

That is just amazing that you did that so fast!! And it looks great!
The cupola and weather vane so cute..
I just love it!

Suzy said...

I just love it Marsha and I am amazed at how quickly it all came together. It is just perfect!!! I love the touches you are putting into it..the cupola and weather vane are just precious. And Harley is going to be so cute!!! How thoughtful of you to consider the passersby :-) I can't wait to see it surrounded with flowers. Great job..both you and Jeff!

Jayne said...

I am still so amazed you all just threw that together in the time that you did and now it is in the yard, looking grand! Wow. Congratulations on the new barn shed. Can't wait to see Harley in the back of it. :c)

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, ths just brings a smile to my face! Wow, you two are just awesome. Not just a sweet barn, but over the top decorating it too. And the horse...amazing. Can't wait to see what you do with plantings.

Robin Lambright said...

WOW! I'm so jealous. I am working on my veggie patch today, but down in the south we can get started early. It has been three years since we moved into this new house and I have not had a veggie garden or even a flower bed. I am really excited to get some garden project underway this spring and fall.

What fun to have all those garden ideas in your head and then to see them come about, we wait with great expectation to see posted pictures!

Blessings
Robin

troutbirder said...

What a glorious sunrise. And the barn is perfect. Now where can I get one like that?

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Marsha,
That is a fabulous barn and you built it? I bet it will be such a treasure for to have. Love the cupola. Cindy

kari and kijsa said...

Love this! We just wanted to say Thank you!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Maggie said...

What a beautiful barn! He did a great job.

RuthieJ said...

Your little barn turned out so nice Marsha! I can't believe you guys got it done that quickly. Good Job!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

This is a fun post! I hope to see an update with what you plant around it.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Oh, and I love that pot and jug dealy! What will you plant in the pot?