Thursday, March 05, 2009

gone to the dogs...

It's a beautiful warm (44 degrees, YEAH!) day here in MN. As I was walking by the window, I noticed I was not the only one who thought so as Hershey decided it was warm enough to camp outside. Notice how she has destroyed the 3rd mattress we have boughten since we got her on December 26? It's March and since there is nothing gardening going on this post has "gone to the dogs". I went outside to try and photograph early signs of spring but the dogs had such antics, I'll do a spring post later in the week. As I walked back into the garden where the snow is still pretty deep, Hershey had to climb the tallest bank and show me she is still "queen of the mountain".
This year, I never got a chance to take down the candy canes from candy cane lane after Christmas because they were frozen so hard in the ground. Sadly, last Christmas will be my last time to have them up as a certain badly behaving puppy has broken most of them off.
Another trophy to bring to her pile of destroyed items scattered around the yard.
Ruger took our walk through the deep snow as a chance to dig his face under to either cool off or maybe even wash his winter coat.
He rolled and rolled enjoying himself...
while Hershey tried to figure out what he was doing.
Being a pup yet, she is full of the dickens and took this as an opportunity to pick on Ruger. So from a full run...
she leaped over the top of him over and over. See, the snow flying as she lands in the far left of the screen...that was quite a jump I witnessed.
She would just turn around and do it again and again...
sometimes landing so she fell on top of him!
At one point she found a piece of foam rubber she had previously buried in the snow (remember all those mattresses she has destroyed?).
She had to hang on to it for safe keeping but that didn't stop her from jumping on Ruger some more...

at one point it ended up flying out of her mouth...
but she quickly jumped after it!
Hershey then figured out that playing catch with herself was so much fun that she threw the foam into the air to catch over and over aain!
Poor Gabi who is almost completely blind and in poor health is not up to any of these adventures or tromping through deep snow so she just too a nap up by the house while all the excitement was going on.
Yup, this post sure has gone to the dogs!

26 comments:

A Grain of Salt said...

Awww, Marsha, such a sweet and FUN post! Don't you wish you had Hershey's energy? This was fun to see all your furry children. Hope you have warmth coming your way!

Jayme said...

Wow Hershey just keeps growing. By the time I get home in April she'll be even bigger! Looks like those two trouble makers were having fun today. Have to say I got a bit teary eyed though seeing Gabi isn't healthy enough to join in the fun.

Kathy said...

I love the "gone to the dogs" post! Gardening, birds and dogs are some of my most favorite things. Your Hersey is sure a nice looking dog.

Becca's Dirt said...

Hershey and Ruger are fine looking dogs. Love the "Gone the dogs" post. Maybe the snow will be gone soon. Spring is nearly here.

Skoots1moM said...

when i first looked at gabi's picture, it looked like a pizza box was flying through the air...then i looked closer and saw it was a bird feeder...lol!
love the doggies

Foley said...

Oh, how I remember the 'destructive' puppy years..yes, I said years!! At least two as I recall! But it so much fun watching them experience everything for the first time..I'm sure Ruger will keep her in line..

Great post!!

Foley said...

Oh, how I remember the 'destructive' puppy years..yes, I said years!! At least two as I recall! But it so much fun watching them experience everything for the first time..I'm sure Ruger will keep her in line..

Great post!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What fun pictures, Marsha! I love the one of Hershey and the big candy cane in her mouth. Poor Gaby :(

It was a beautiful day her also - 60 degrees!

Anonymous said...

Marsha, I just LOVE your gone to the dogs post! Just warms my heart!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, I would imagine that you can watch Hershey and Ruger play for hours.

I'm not surprised Hershey has gone through three mattresses. It's just seems to be what puppies do.

Marsha, Candy Cane Lane wouldn't be the same without candy canes... Hopefully you can find some puppy-proof ones before then.

The action pictures are so good. Just a darling post.

Unknown said...

Hi Marsha,
My sister, Mollie, 'watches' 20 Finger and 20 Toes;-), thus she has kindly shared your blog with me. Hershey is a puppy?!!! She is so agile and having so much fun. What we can learn about peace and contentment from animals if we take the time to watch them. So thank you for sharing. I was great to 'look' at the snow. I am unfortunately currently a whining person living in TX and would move to snow in a snap if I had a good offer:-)

Again thank you for sharing all you do. I have been trying to finish Christmas gifts (yes, last year) but looks like I'm not sewing at the moment. They are all "surprise" gifts now.

My sister Mollie;-)) entices me with interesting 'stuff' she finds on the web. So, if she reads this she'll understand why she doesn't have her Christmas gift yet. Really, I need to just control my yen to read my email a few times daily. She has never received a gift on time for anything, so each day is a surprise.

BTW: There are four sister in my family and our first names all start with an "M". Our youngest sister is "Marsha". As I am 12 years older than her I can remember our father coming home from the hospital and asking how "we" wanted to spell the new baby's name. My mother lost out on the spelling contest. I still like "Marsha", there's just something about its spelling that makes that person special.

Enjoy your great weather and your puppies. I have five dogs. I have one young border collie mix who needs some sheep. Though she is a mix she will nip my calves to get me outside faster. I'm hoping I can find her a family who will take the time to play with her and train her; until then, she's safe from danger, sleeps in bed, has food and water served twice daily and is brushed.

I don't know how you do all that you do, but once again, thanks for sharing.

Maureen

Thanks again.

Kathleen said...

Bark, Bark..
WOOF, WOOF?
GRRRRR!
They are funny dogs!

kari and kijsa said...

That looks like dog-gone fun!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Wanda said...

What a great set of Gone to the Dogs photos.

What beautiful dogs you have.

I need to post a few of Molly again!!

ChrisJ said...

Great dogs! -- and having Great fun!! Wish I'd been there to see it.

Jayne said...

LOL... how funny! Hersey is a bundle of energy!

Peggy said...

Cute captures! The foam toss was my favorite! Puppies, they never stop...

Jacque said...

That was so much fun for me! Thanks for sharing all the play ~Jacque

Carol said...

Excellent post, Marsha! Going to the dogs! Great action shots! I love watching them play! Fun, fun post!

Suzy said...

What fun and excitement! Hershey is really getting big. Big big puppy! Ruger is really a good sport lol. That pic of Hershey flying through the are should win you a prize somewhere! Great post Marsha. By next Christmas maybe she will be calmed down enough to get new decorations!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I just had my husband look up your blog on his computer so he could see your dogs. I have been thinking about either putting up something about our yellow lab in my sidebar or doing a post on her. She is 5 years old, and her destruction is from clawing on cupboards and doors to get to food, like my chocolate.

Labs sure are athletic and on the wild side, aren't they? Your pics are wonderful!

Tina said...

Yep, your post went to the dogs and what a great series of pictures you captured!!! They look like they were enjoying that snow and those toys very much..you got some excellent action pics.. just love your choice of those you posted!! Looked like a fun time for all!

for the love of a house said...

Hi Marsha!
Oh my gosh... your furbabies are too adorable! You did such a great job of capturing their play I felt like I was right there watching!
Your sweet Gabi is pulling my heart strings.. That is a melt your heart photo.
Ella sends wags to all your pups!
joan

troutbirder said...

Oh the memories of puppies growing up. My first dog was a lab and he drove me to distraction. We went and saw "Marley" and all the fun and love came rushing back of those puppy days gone by.

The Birdlady said...

What wonderful dogs! I'm glad our snow is gone -probably no more this year.

RuthieJ said...

What a great post Marsha! Hershey is quite a wild child! I loved seeing your dogs out playing.