Thursday, January 22, 2009

winter beauty...

One of my favorite scenes of winter is when we get a hoar frost. Since the last few days have been filled with sunshine and temps hovering around freezing, snow melt has put lots of moisture in the air. Today we woke up to fog and a heavy hoar frost.I couldn't wait to get out the camera but I had to wait until 11 am for the sun to burn away the fog and bring out the wonder of sunlight reflecting on the frost. The frost flakes were falling from the trees like heavy snowflakes as I snapped away in awe of the beauty of it from a distance and the wonderment of it up close...tiny little crystal leaves perfectly formed. Enjoy these photos and don't forget to click on them for the enlarged views.












I was not the only one enjoying the beauty...

22 comments:

Foley said...

Marsha - the photos are absolutely breathtaking.. the ice crystals look like feathers! The berries really caught my eye...

I hope you continue to show photos of Hershey so we can see him grow up!

jalynn01 said...

I have to admit I had never heard of 'hoar frost'. I looked it up in fact and you were absolutely right in your description. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures and especially Hershey with the frost on his nose. How sweet. I too hope you show him growing up. Nicely done!

Unknown said...

Hoar frost, what in the world? Not a term in Florida for sure. Your pictures are stunning. I am always amazed at the detail in snowflakes............Just beautiful!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Marsha,as Jake and I were looking at these shots,we wre in awe.Each picture more stunning than the previous.Wow and stunning,were used often.
Blessings,Ruth

The Birdlady said...

Beautiful, beautiful.

Maribeth said...

Hi Marsha, it's Maribeth, a former roomie of Jayme's. These pics are so amazing. Thank you for sharing such beauty!

a quiet life said...

oh that was fabulous! i opened them UP and just marveled at what you captured! sooooo many fantastic pics, THANK YOU! hershey is growing fast!

troutbirder said...

We had exactly the same scene this morning here and you captured it absolutely beautifully were you are. Magic!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that, either. We get ice storms that are pretty but those crystals are just beautiful, like feathers!

Skoots1moM said...

I agree with Linda...they're like feathers...well done! Go God!!

Jayne said...

Those photos are all just exquisite Marsha!

La Table De Nana said...

I had never heard that expression either..And I always loved that frost too.
They are magical days..thanks for capturing yours for us.
Love the white and red:)

Anonymous said...

Truely breathtaking nature's beauty. I would like a photo of the "big tree" from grandpa & grandma Johnson's farm covered in frost. Love your posts! - Lisa

Cynthia said...

Marsha, what breathtakingly beautiful photos.

I am astounded at the detail of the snowflakes and ice crystals. ... I love how you bookended nature's red with Hershey's red collar.

Peggy said...

Excellent detail! Amazing macros!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Marsha,
I love the close-ups of the beautiful frost scupltures. Good job!

Sandra said...

Isn't Mother Nature amazing!! Fantastic photos.

BJ said...

Marsha - These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! All I can say is, WOW! You really have great photography skills. So nice to come here and see this beauty.

Have missed you my friend. Wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten you and enjoy seeing these fabulous pictures.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I love all the natural beauty. Hershey is getting all grown up :-) Too quick :-)

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, are you in an area that is prone to heavy fogs?

Carol said...

Marsha, your pics are breathtaking!

Hershey is getting to be so big, so fast!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Breathtaking is exactly what I was thinking too. Just beautiul, Marsha!