Monday, January 12, 2009

a new kid in the garden...

Johnny come lately, the new kid in town
Will she still love you when you're not around?
There's so many things you should have told her,
but night after night you're willing to hold her,
Just hold her, tears on your shoulder

There's talk on the street, it's there to
Remind you, that it doesn't really matter
which side you're on.
You're walking away and they're talking behind you
They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along
Where you been lately? There's a new kid in town
Everybody loves him, don't they?
Now he's holding her, and you're still around
Oh, my, my
There's a new kid in town
just another new kid in town
Ooh, hoo
Everybody's talking 'bout the new kid in town,
Ooh, hoo
Everybody's walking' like the new kid in town
There's a new kid in town
There's a new kid in town
I don't want to hear it
There's a new kid in town
I don't want to hear it
There's a new kid in town
There's a new kid in town
There's a new kid in town
(Eagles, New kid in town lyrics)
Our area of the state is in a winter storm warning today for blowing and drifting snow and dangerous wind chills (-30). It is always amazing how the wildlife sense this and on these days the feeders are extra busy as the birds fuel up. This morning there was a "new kid in town" as a new rooster popped in to feed. Usually only Joseph and the girls come to the feeders and corn buffet. Immediately, this Eagles song came to mind...so may I introduce..."Johnny come lately". Jeff kept commenting on his long tail.
A lone lady was feeding but she gave him the cold shoulder...and we soon saw why as Joseph arrived on the scene.Joseph didn't care for the new kid in town... and even though Johnny thought he was the big guy around here...

Johnny had met his match and soon took off back into the grove.After Johnny was on the scene, even this sparrow seemed like a threat.
As long as the competetion was gone, Joseph took some time to groom himself. For awhile he looked like a headless rooster.

Don't worry Joseph, you're still our favorite!

16 comments:

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Incredible photos Marsha. I feel we are so fortunate that you share them with us. Absolutely beautiful!

Psst... I love the Eagles, too. :)

Jayme said...

I never noticed that you can tell which one is Joseph because he wears a white hat. The headless Joseph photo is a bit creepy though. Nice photos mom!

Cynthia said...

Another wonderful set of photos.

Joseph is a beauty and I'm glad Jayne pointed out the white on Joseph's head.

I love the picture of Joseph and the sparrow. How funny!

About the "headless" photo.... it sure shows off Joseph's gorgeous feathers.

Unknown said...

Just great photos and the song was perfect for them. What a beautiful bird!

La Table De Nana said...

Magnificent birds those 2!!!

What great captures Marsha..Liked your story too:)

jalynn01 said...

I just love these photos with the snow and pines in the background. And you definitely can tell the difference between Joseph and the 'new kid in town'. On down I too love your moon and the one single cow. Nice shots!

Foley said...

Marsha - super photos! Love that Joseph is protecting his 'turf' ...lol

Jayne said...

Joseph is no dummy... he knows he's king of Marsha's yard! :c)

Peggy said...

How lucky are you to have these guys and ladies come to your property! The behavior shots were great--Keep it up! Will Johnny steal Josephs date? I'm tuned in to see what happens!

a quiet life said...

your shots always amaze me~

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Fantastic photos, Marsha! I love all of your flora and fauna. You capture them so very well.

PS: I have a little gift for you at my blog ;)

Anonymous said...

and it's a well deserved gift, too! :)

This is such a great post! Has everything. Action, romance, it's like a tv movie :) Great post, Marsha, and a theme song! I love the Eagles :)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Beautiful pheasant pictures. What kind of camera and lense are you using??

Suzy said...

You're a great story teller Marsha and you capture such great photos! They are beautiful boys..both of them. I'm glad Joseph came out victorious though :-)

RuthieJ said...

Those are amazing photos Marsha! I've never seen a rooster pheasant with as much white on his head as Joseph has.

Kathleen said...

Beautiful shots, Marsha...
BRRRRR...looks tropical here in comparison!