Thursday, January 15, 2009

Brrr.rrrrr.rrrrr!

This morning's temps are cold as you can see it is 29.3 degrees below zero! It is so cold that the inside edges of our windows are frost covered leading to the inside temp also showing very cold. Thankfully the furnance is running and we have the rest of the house heated to 70. After seeing that cold temp I sat in the chair and waited for the sun to come up to see the first bird to brave the cold and come to the feeders. I thought I saw movement out in the dark and lo and behold this sparrow was sitting out on the feeder in the dark!As it began to lighten the juncos and goldfinches arrived on the scene and I could see the frost around their eyes.
By the time the sun was fully up all the feeders became busy...with squirrels...
and bluejays...
nuthatches and...
goldfinches...
and more juncos.
The rabbits, fox squirrels and a few hen pheasants are here as I type this entry. Stay warm!

19 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I've never seen frost around their eyes before. I'm amazed at just how hardy these fragile little critters are.

Unknown said...

Those birdies look so freezing as my 10 year old would say. This morning it was 28 here, and that's cold for North Florida. I too saw amny birds on our feeders this morning, on one tree I saw a bluejay, sparrows, cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches and the yellow one? Where was my camera? Inside of course.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Yes,it is COLD.The poor critters are dealing with the worst of it.At least you and I have warm homes and clothes.Let's just keep those feeders filled.
Blessings,Ruth

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I know the birds were sure hungry this morning. They are going through the suet like crazy. I love your pictures.

Skoots1moM said...

wow, what amazing pics...their little eyes have frost...
isn't it amazing how God cares for them and they are able to get to your food..
we're in the 30's today and will be in single digits 2night...i mimic your sentiment...stay warm, everybody!

Cynthia said...

Oh, Marsha, how adorable, but how awful your weather is for the birds. Thank goodness you feed them.... I'm sure yours is a popular spot.

I noticed in the second picture that not only does the little bird have frost around his eye but also down his back.

The temperatures are so extreme in this particular weather system. It's hard to conceptualize those temperatures.

Is the log cabin a bird feeder that the squirrels took over?

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could complain about the weather on Long Island again. WOW, our cold temps must seem like spring to you :)

You get a nice crowd at your feeders!

Foley said...

Marsha - I feel so muuch better, we were only at -20 degrees!!! The poor birdies, can't believe the frost around his eyes..

I applaud you in keeping the feed going even when I know it has to be bitter to go out and fill them up!

The Birdlady said...

They are such gutsy little things - great captures.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl I got cold just reading this ha ha!! hugs and smiles Gloria

La Table De Nana said...

Well it's even colder here..but you pictures warmed my heart:)

Femin Susan said...

Hi………
Absolutely fantastic post! Good job!
Great!
Good week………

Kathleen said...

I can't believe they don't go to Fla like all of my friends out here do! :) And they can get a cheap, or cheep, flight, too!

Jayne said...

It's 10 degrees even here this morning Marsha, and I can't imagine it being -29!! ACK! Glad your friends have you to help them out and enjoyed the offerings.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

The sweet birdies somehow keep warm. We feed them too and have most of the same ones you do. There is a small wooded area behind the house so we have woodpeckers too. So much fun to watch them.
Stop by for a visit sometime.
~Ahrisha~

a quiet life said...

thank god you are so good to them...

OY on your temps... scary and out of this worldly~

Jacque said...

Beautiful! I watch the birds and squirrels in my back yard as well, so much better then television, I am always guaranteed a great show! Jacque

La Table De Nana said...

Oh Marsha..you've got the cutest birds..honestly.

Suzy said...

Marsha...stay warm my friend. Your birdies look happy though!!