Sunday, January 25, 2009

beautiful boys...

On Friday, we had bitter cold and 25-30 mph winds making for a very blustery day. A group of redpolls sought refuge in my yard and the GREAT thing is that there are beautiful boys in the group!







I sure hope they stay around a while as they make January a lot more bearable. At this time of year, I take all my photos through the window and I just had to show this last picture of a bluejay...I can see my house reflected in his eye!

24 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

GorgeousBlue Jay.Do you think that maybe the Redpolls were trying to impress you?Some of those poses made me smile.
Blessings,Ruth

Foley said...

Marsha - You amaze me of your knowledge of all the birds that come to visit you!! The blue jay seems to know you....

jalynn01 said...

I so enjoyed all the poses of the Redpolls. I don't get them so I love seeing yours!! I clicked on the Jay and I saw your house in his eye. How cool was that?

Unknown said...

The redpolls look minty to me! I love bluejays too!

Jayne said...

Those little redpolls are such cuties! I love that they look like they got splashed with paint on their heads! Your jay is so beautiful Marsha!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I saw my first ever Redpolls last winter in the Sax-Zim Bog. They've never come to my yard but I'm still hoping and looking. Yours are beautiful.

Cathy said...

Lovely, lovely photos. Your little feathered friends have so much personality.

Cynthia said...

Marsha, I love seeing your photos of the redpolls. I wasn't familiar with them. I don't think they come around our area. ... I did research them in my Audubon book. Of course, your pictures are significantly better!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

Peggy said...

Great series of photos! I need a redpoll too!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a redpoll before! I would just LOVE to have some in my yard in New Jersey, don't think so. Thanks as always for your beautiful pictures, I just love to come here and visit, Marsha.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

How absolutely beautiful they are Marsha!

I've never, ever seen a redpoll in a photo or in person so this is a real treat. They are so cute!

And that bluebird! *sigh* We don't have that kind in my area.
Just gorgeous.

As always, thank you for sharing your world with us! xo~m.

Skoots1moM said...

your pics just continuing giving me wonderful views of god's creations...
thank you for sharing them
wow...go God!!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I could look at these pics allll day...beautiful!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Oh Marsha, what a treat to see those beautiful creatures. We have redpolls at our cottage, but not at our home. Thank you for sharing!

RuthieJ said...

Great photos Marsha--especially through the windows! I saw my little remale redpoll again yesterday. Those males sure are handsome!

The Birdlady said...

Beautiful! I wish I had some here.

marmee said...

those redpolls are beautiful. i have never had the priviledge of seeing one before. how nice to have them visit when the weather is so dreary.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Oh my, they are so cute, Marsha! I've never seen one here. It's amazing how we're just one state apart and yet you don't have cardinals and we don't have redpolls. I just love the poses.

Kathleen said...

Your redpolls are beauties! I'm always hopeful that they will visit our feeders, but it has not happened yet. Thank you for sharing these special friends.

a quiet life said...

i have never even heard of redpolls, but i do know astounding pics when i see them... again i am so grateful you feed them during your frightful weather.

Kathleen said...

Amazing pictures, Marsha!

Wanda said...

I have to admit, before moving to Southern CA, I was never into birds... They didn't come around and I didn't give them much thought!

Now I adore them, all of them and especially the little ones that come and visit my back yard. Nothing colorful like yours, but I enjoy my little birds just the same.

LOL;Wanda

La Table De Nana said...

Marsha..I love your bird photos..They are like pets those little feathery friends..

Do you think a Zuiko 70-300 mm lens could capture birds?

I don't have as many as you..but it would be nice to capt their little birdiness:)

Suzy said...

I swear I posted here before! Don't know what happened to it though lol. Probably user error! I had commented how cute these little redpolls are. I have never heard or seen them but they are so beautiful. Great pics Marsha.