I question not if thrushes sing,
If roses load the air;
Beyond my heart I need not reach
When all is summer there.
(John Vance Cheney)
The service berry continues to be a feast for the birds. Daily, I watch as dozens of robins, a few brown thrashers, two flickers and one catbird visit and perform swinging branch trapeze acts while feasting on the berries. They do not even wait for them to ripen so hopefully this young robin is not getting indigestion from eating green fruit (remember those green apples of our youth?).
.JPG)
The bush is only about 10 ft from the house so I just stand at the window to take these photographs. While standing there I saw two wrens start to fight mid-air. They ended up landing on the floor of the gazebo and continued the fight.

One had the other's beak held shut with his foot and continued to peck the other while he pushed away with his feet.

.JPG)
I became obvious that this would be a fight to the death as it lasted about 3-4 minutes before I went out there and intervened. I was able to walk right up to them before the more agressive one finally let go and flew off. The 2nd one hobbled under the cover of flowers so I do not know how injured he was.
.JPG)
They are such cute little birds filling the gardens with song but are one of the most agressive birds out there. They will even go into other nests and destroy the eggs or kill the babies in order to protect their territory. This spring I witnessed a fight to the death between a mouse that had moved into a bird house and a wren. The mouse was bloodied and pecked to death around the head/neck and the wren laid next to it until it too died. Nature isn't always pretty...
8 comments:
You're right Marsha, nature can be harsh. It's hard for us to see the birds that we love exibit this natural side of themselves. The house wrens in my back yard are definitely the tyrants of the yard. Their young are very near fledging and all I seem to hear right now is the machine gun chatter of the parents!
Wow, Marsha, those are amazing pictures--especially the wrens fighting. I'm glad you were able to be the rescuer.
I have some serviceberries in my yard, but they're still pretty small. I'm thinking now I should invest in some larger plants if the birds love them that much.
Those are some awesome pictures! I have never witnessed birds fighting in that way. I mean on the ground, holding the other one down. I agree, nature has it harsh moments, that's for sure!
That was quite the "reality" show...so glad you were able to break it up. I have not seen that with any of the birds that visit my back yard.
But earlier pictures are so so beautiful.
Love the birds in the berries! Wow, what images of the wrens locked in battle. I do hope the less aggressive one was OK.
Those birds are really going beak to beak...I never knew they fought to the death like that...and battle with a mouse....never knew that either. Great pics of what looks like the "fight of the century" ...I am glad you stopped it in time!
Beautiful garden too..thanks for sharing the pics!
Have a great day,
Jamie
Holy cow, what vicious little boids, lol!
Wonderful blog and photography!
Nikki
Great post and th pics are amazing. I like the flag pic in your garden.The bird pics are so wierd to see. Hummingbirds are feisty little things. They protect their food.
Take care, Jeanne
Post a Comment