Friday, July 25, 2008

alizarin, carmine, crimson, scarlet, vermillion...

or in another word, RED!
Tigridia, "Mexican Shell Flower"According to Wikipedia, red is associated with heat, energy and blood, and emotions that stir the blood, including anger, passion, and love. It commonly represents — aggression, stop, courage, guilt, energy, passion, anger, fire, socialism, sacrifice, sin, violence, negative, and warning and blushing.

To me it means beautiful, bright spots of color in the garden.
Gallardia "Blanket Flower"
Russelia, "Peters Komet"
Begonia semperflorens, "Wax Begonia"
Coleus, "Kingswood Torch"
Coreopsis 'Limerock Ruby' (self seeds as an annual but has been cross pollinating with the wildflower coreposis and I only have a few red ones left.
Rose, "Hope for Humanity"
Lobelia cardinalis, "Queen Victoria" Cardinal Flower
Ratibida columnifera, "Mexican Hat" Prairie Coneflower
Amaranth, "Hopi Red Dye"
Daylily, (unnamed, lost tag)
Hibiscus acetosella, "Haight Ashbury"
Ricinus communis, "Castor Bean" flower
Ricinus communis, "Castor Bean" leaf (makes a great slide for a female orchard oriole)
Ricinus communis, "Castor Bean" stalks (make a great backdrop for mama dove)
4 days old and already has mom's long beak!

7 comments:

Wanda said...

Hi Marsha ~~ came by for my usual "beauty" fix.... and I got it!

I've never been dissapointed visiting your blog.

The little bird....Oh my...so tiny and precious. His eye is on the sparrow...and I know He's watching me!!

The Birdlady said...

How very beautiful!

jalynn01 said...

Red is one of favorite colors so this post was really special to me. Loved all the different shades! And the bird was so cute at the end. awwwww. Nice post.

Anonymous said...

Marsha, Your photography is just outstanding, delightfully capturing God's created details! You bless my day!
Thank you. . .

Jayne said...

WOW! Love your "red" in the garden!

jalynn01 said...

Hi Marsha, It's me again! I wanted to answer your question about wintering my plants. I have an area in my basement probably about 6ft by 6ft. and I put all my plants there, with the larger on the floor smaller ones on a work bench, and then I have a 4ft florescent light mounted above and it is on a timer, which comes on at 7am and goes out at 10pm daily. You only have to water minimally. Great for geraniums, lantana, hibiscus, (saves $$ in long run) I used to buy expensive grow lights, but discovered florescent does the same thing.

By the way I loved your oriole sliding down the caster bean leaf. I plant those too and I love them! So Tropical looking in the garden.

Anonymous said...

I have a red daylily that looks similar. It's called "Pardon Me" and is faily common. I garden in zone 4